Residency Dates: February 11, 2024 - March 02, 2024
Application Deadline: October 15, 2023
A 2023 United States Artists Fellow, and 2022 Winner of Yale’s Windham Campbell Prize in Drama, Sharon Bridgforth is 2020-2023 Playwrights’ Center Core Member, a 2022-2023 McKnight National Fellow and a New Dramatists alumnae. She has received support from The Doris Duke Performing Artist Award, Creative Capital, MAP Fund and the National Performance Network. Her work is featured in Volume 110, No. 4, Winter 2022 of The Yale Review, Teaching Black: The Craft of Teaching on Black Life and Literature, Mouths of Rain an Anthology of Black Lesbian Thought and Feminist Studies Vol 48 Number 1, honoring 40 years of This Bridge Called by Back and But Some of Us Are Brave! Sharon’s new book bull-jean & dem/dey back is published by 53rd State Press.
I love questions. I believe that following the roads that the right questions open – and doing the work necessary to be vulnerable and present to what arises – accelerates our ability to excavate, articulate and innovate the work we dream of making. I have a history of collaborating with, mentoring and facilitating for choreographers, writers, and performing artists.
Artists will be invited to consider the relationship between art and Spirit – and to deepen our ability to fully embody, and manifest our artistic vision by doing the work of unearthing/examining/and articulating our identities-cultures-memories-families histories-dreams, and the socio-political realities of our lives. Through writing prompts and sharing, we will explore creative process, virtuosity, improvisation, innovation, the art of being present, and deep listening.
- Submit up to five pages/images/or five minutes of fully developed work
- Submit up to five pages/images/or five minutes of in progress work that has not reach a satisfactory level of development
- Description of your artistic and blood lineages (if you don’t know your blood lineages, you can speak to not knowing)
- Describe what kind of artist you are (primarily) and how your work best lives
- Share what areas of personal and artistic growth they aspire to
Application Fee: $25 | Apply