|May 22, 2020
The well-being of our members, artists, visitors, volunteers, and staff continue to be our priority. With that in mind, Atlantic Center for the Arts main campus gallery will reopen on June 1; Arts on Douglas gallery is now open to the public. In order to protect the safety of our staff and guests we are practicing social distancing and encouraging you wear a mask while visiting ACA facilities. All community programs will continue to be held virtually via our Facebook page throughout the summer.
We are very hopeful that we will be able to hold our October Residency and have waived the application fee and extended the deadline to June 30. Also, due to COVID-19 and the immense stress it has put on artists, ACA will be offering full scholarships to accepted artists who qualify. The Board of Trustees and staff feel protecting our core mission is paramount, and are grateful to the Pabst Steinmetz Foundation for allowing us to make this commitment to funding exceptional artists during these times.
Thank you for your continued support of ACA!
Nancy Lowden Norman
March 16, 2020
Atlantic Center for the Arts is a unique community of like-minded people, and our concern over COVID-19 and its impact extends to each and every one of you, our friends in the arts.
As a community partner with the City of New Smyrna Beach, and in order to do our part to help “flatten the curve,” Atlantic Center for the Arts and Atlantic Center at Harris House have been closed to the public since March 20th, and Arts on Douglas has been open by appointment only. The well-being of our members, artists, visitors, volunteers, and staff is our number one priority. Staff will still be working, continuing our commitment to Atlantic Center for the Arts mission to inspire creativity and intellectual exchange by connecting people with art and new ideas. We will keep monitoring the situation and will let you know as soon as we are able to safely re-open to the public.
To keep you as up to date as possible, we want to share additional event and program information:
- All Community Programs will continue to be cancelled, including the Arts on Douglas First Saturday openings.
- We have cancelled our May and July Master Artist-in-Residence programs, and all fees have been returned to the artists. We continue to evaluate our upcoming residencies.
- We have cancelled all overnight workshops and retreats at main campus through mid-August.
- We are taking this time to maintain our facilities to the highest standards.
- For further updates, please visit www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org or follow Atlantic Center for the Arts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Atlantic Center for the Arts Board of Trustees has made the decision to transition our upcoming annual Horsin’ Around auction from an in-person event to a virtual event utilizing our online bidding platform, OneCause. We will send a separate email to our attendees with further details on how they can join in on the fun from home, and we are intending to have a live auction event in the Fall to celebrate together!
As many of you know, this event provides substantial funds to drive our mission forward, including operating support, and we do not yet have a full picture on the overall economic effect the pandemic will have organizationally. We impact artists internationally in the development of new work; we impact our community by providing relevant programming that inspires the creativity in each of us. While we work to serve our community of artists, youth, patrons, and the public, we hope that you will consider making a tax-deductible donation at any time through our website: https://atlanticcenterforthearts.org/store/donate/
We believe the visual, literary, and performing arts have the power to heal and bring us together (even if by technology!). Now, more than ever, the arts provide hope. Below are a few ways in which you can explore our programming and stay connected:
- Visit Atlantic Center for the Arts YouTube channel for videos of previous INsideOUT performances, artist interviews, Soundscapes, Summer Art Camp performances, and more! https://www.youtube.com/user/atlanticcenterarts
- Find us on social media to see ongoing posts about the work our artists-in-residence have created.
- Visit https://artsondouglas.net/collections/all to view the Arts on Douglas Gallery catalog and virtually experience the work of the talented Florida artists it represents. Call 386-428-1133 to schedule an appointment.
- Become a member! Any new membership at the $100 Art Angel level will be directed to provide Summer Art Camp scholarships for a needy child https://atlanticcenterforthearts.org/store/memberships/
It is your belief in the vision and mission of Atlantic Center for the Arts that sustains us, and I am so grateful to each and every one of you. Stay well.
Nancy Lowden Norman