Master Artist-in-Residence Program Details
Atlantic Center for the Arts
1414 Art Center Avenue
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Read our locations page for more information
- Residency Length: 3 weeks
- Number of residencies per year: 4
- Average number of Associate Artists in residence at a time: 24
- Average number of applicants per year: 350
- Open to all artists (US and International)
- Language Requirement: a basic command of the English language is necessary.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old at the time of the residency
- Overnight guests, spouses, children, and pets are not permitted to stay in housing during the residency. Please let ACA sfaff know if you have a medical caretaker, a service animal, or other medical needs so we have plenty of time to accommodate your needs.
- $900 – Includes weekday meals and housing; does not include artist materials, transportation, or weekend meals.
Scholarships / financial assistance:
- Only accepted Associate Artists may apply for financial assistance. ACA will email you a Financial Aid Form if you are accepted into a residency. You will have about three weeks to complete the form and submit it to ACA. The financial aid awards will be announced about one week later. All accepted Associate Artists are encouraged to apply for assistance.
- Financial assistance to Associate Artists is made possible by the generosity of foundations who have partnered with ACA to help offset the residency fee. The financial assistance awards are based on the funds available at the time, and the Associate Artist’s level of need determined by a review of the individual’s most recent IRS statement (US Associates) or, for non-US Associates, by providing a copy of your most recent annual tax filing with your government. Please contact Kevin Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Click here to see an example of our financial aid form.
- Application fee: $25
- Application: Atlantic Center for the Arts no longer accepts mailed residency applications. ACA now uses an online application process. Visit How to Apply to read more.
- Application Deadlines: Visit the Residency Schedule to view deadlines for each residency.
- Notification of Acceptance: You will be notified via email 4 – 6 weeks after the application deadline.
Facilities & Services:
- Accessibility: ACA studios, facilities, and grounds are wheelchair accessible. Four housing units are designed for individuals with limited accessibility and they have an extra bed for a medical caretaker.
- Associate Housing: Private housing with a private bathroom, shower, sink, air conditioning, heating, desk, and small refrigerator is provided to associate artists. Wireless internet is also available. Click here to learn more.
- Meals: Weekday meals (self-serve continental breakfast, lunch and dinner) are prepared by ACA’s Chef or Culinary Artist-in-Residence. Vegetarian options at all meals; local/fresh/organic ingredients emphasized; special dietary needs addressed on individual basis; weekend meals not provided; twice-weekly trips to grocery store arranged.
- Computer/internet access: High speed wireless internet is available throughout all studios, common areas, and housing units. Several communal computers and printers are available in the digital media lounge and in other studio spaces.
- Studios/special equipment: Communal studio spaces with 24-hour access. To read more about our studios, facilities and housing – click here
- Other facilities and services: Coin-Laundry facilities, fax/copier service, bicycles/locks available. Twice-weekly trips to local stores provided. Recreational outings arranged as desired.
- Visit Studios, Facilities, & Housing to learn more.
Master Artist Selection
Atlantic Center for the Arts does not accept unsolicited requests to be considered for the position of Master Artist-in-Residence. Master Artists are identified by Atlantic Center for the Arts National Council members. Artists are contacted by National Council members or the Program Department for possible invitations to participate in the residency program.
If you have any questions, please email Ivan Riascos, Program Assistant